Saturday, March 24, 2012

Striking the Perfect Tone: John Coltrane

John Coltrane

I was chatting to someone the other day who I discovered was a sax player. I mentioned that I’d been listening to Lush Life by John Coltrane a bit recently.  “Wow,” he said. “For us sax players his first note on Lush Life is the epitome of tone. The Holy Grail that we all strive to blow.”

I didn’t know that. You can learn something new everyday.

Anyway, though Lush Life is ‘early’ Coltrane and the massive summit of Love Supreme is many years off, it is an infectious record. They say, no one can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell. Well, in my book, no one can blow the horn like John Coltrane.  And even at this early point in his career that tone and singularity of purpose comes shining through.

Have a pleasant Saturday night wherever you may be! And may your life be lush indeed!


            Track Listing:
            01 Like Someone In Love
02 I Love You
03 Trane's Slo Blues
04 Lush Life
05 I Hear A Rhapsody

Listen here.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big John :) PEACE BROTHER!!