Thursday, August 16, 2012

It Was 35 Years Ago Today: Elvis Aaron Presley

Elvis Presley

On August 16, 1977 I came back to civilization after a long arduous trek in the Garhwal Himalayas.  A group of old school mates and I had walked from Mussoorie to Dhanalti, climbed to the misty, soaking summit of Nag Tibba and then down to Deosari.  Blisters abounded but we felt as if we had achieved something of value.

Back in Mussoorie that evening we heard the news. Elvis Presley, the King of Rock ‘n Roll had died.   I thought it was about time and good riddance.  All I knew and cared to know about Elvis was the way late night comedians mocked him. Peanut butter sandwiches, hamburgers. sleeping pills, bloat and sequined capes. 

I confess I was a fool.

Only many years later did the serious Kingliness of Elvis Presley dawn upon me. I worked a bar that had a jukebox loaded with dozens of his hits and a blind regular called Davey who played them constantly. One night as All Shook Up played for the umpteenth time the sky opened and I saw the Lord shaking his hips as St Peter tried not to tap his foot.

Tonight, in remembrance of the Great Man from Memphis, I’ve put together a collection of some of my favorite Elvis songs including his spirituals and Christmas songs.   I’ve also stirred in tributes by artists as varied as Merle Haggard, Gillian Welch, Jeff Beck, Albert King and even a Bollywood crooner.  And of course, the other Elvis, who took his name from the King, appears as well.

So go make yourself a grilled peanut butter sandwich and pour a fresh litre of Pepsi and give it a listen.  You’ll be happy!


            Track Listing:
            01 Power Of My Love
02 All Shook Up
03 Mystery Train
04 Blue Moon
05 King Creole
06 One Night of Sin
07 A Little Less Conversation
08 That's When Your Heartaches Begin
09 That's All Right
10 Suspicious Minds
11 Stranger in My Own Hometown
12 Kentucky Rain
13 Elvis Ate America [U2 Brian Eno, Pavarotti]
14 Jesus & Elvis {Greg Brown]
15 Are You Lonesome Tonight [Merle Haggard]
16 Love Me Tender [Link Wray]
17 Elvis Presley Blues [Gillian Welch]
18 All Shook Up [Jeff Beck Group]
19 Blue Moon Revisited (Song For Elvis) [Cowboy Junkies]
20 Jack Of All Parades (Solo Demo) [Elvis Costello]
21 Bombshell Baby Of Bombay [Shankar Jaikishan]
22 Don't Be Cruel [Albert King]
23 Blue Christmas
24 Christmas Message from Elvis / Silent Night
25 O Little Town of Bethlehem
26 He Touched Me
27 How Great Thou Art

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks a very good mix, now where is that bacon fat. I to am anonymous.